Common Rental Violations Checklist
Landlords are responsible to maintain rental units in compliance with codes and laws. This list includes the most common violations/complaints at rental units in the City of Winona. This is not all inclusive, but only the most frequently noted. Please “pre-inspect” your rental units prior to our appointment and routinely during tenancy.
- At a minimum, CO detectors are required to be installed within 10’ of all bedroom doors.
Information on Carbon Monoxide
- Smoke detectors must be installed inside and outside of all bedrooms, on every level and be in working order. Information on Smoke Detectors
- House numbers and owner’s placard must be clearly visible.
- Overloaded outlets or use of improper extension cords.
- Inoperable windows, broken windows and missing screens.
- GFCI outlets not operating.
- Missing cover plates on outlets and switches.
- Junk on porches or in yards.
- Upholstered furniture on open porches.
- General upkeep of building exterior, rotted trim, etc.
- Storage of garbage and recyclable containers in the front yard and left at curbside.
- Fire extinguishers that are not annually serviced.
Please help our neighborhoods by keeping your rental properties in good condition. For more information contact the City of Winona Inspections Department at 507-457-8231 or email staff.
Rental Housing Licenses
Winona Housing Code Chapter 33A requires all rental units within the City limits to be inspected every five years on a renewal program. This is a mandatory inspection to ensure the health and safety of the occupants. Inspection fee will be collected once every 5 years for the certification inspection.
Inspection fee will be charged per the following fee schedule effective January 1, 2015, as adopted by the Winona City Council:
C.C. Section 51 (69)
- $74.25/each building
- PLUS $74.25/per rental unit in building, or
- $24.75/per sleeping room in building
Single Family Dwelling
- $74.25/rental unit
- $148.50 Total
- $148.50/two rental unit
- $222.75 Total
- $74.25/1 rental unit
- $148.50 Total