Common Rental Violations Checklist
Landlords are responsible to maintain rental units in compliance with codes and laws. This list includes the most common violations/complaints at rental units in the City of Winona. This is not all inclusive, but only the most frequently noted. Please “pre-inspect” your rental units prior to our appointment and routinely during tenancy.
- At a minimum, CO detectors are required to be installed within 10’ of all bedroom doors.
Information on Carbon Monoxide
- Smoke detectors must be installed inside and outside of all bedrooms, on every level and be in working order. Information on Smoke Detectors
- House numbers and owner’s placard must be clearly visible.
- Overloaded outlets or use of improper extension cords.
- Inoperable windows, broken windows and missing screens.
- GFCI outlets not operating.
- Missing cover plates on outlets and switches.
- Junk on porches or in yards.
- Upholstered furniture on open porches.
- General upkeep of building exterior, rotted trim, etc.
- Storage of garbage and recyclable containers in the front yard and left at curbside.
- Fire extinguishers that are not annually serviced.
- Deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- Step rails.
Please help our neighborhoods by keeping your rental properties in good condition. For more information contact the City of Winona Inspections Department at 507-457-8231 or email staff.
Rental Housing Licenses
Winona Housing Code Chapter 33A requires all rental units within the City limits to be inspected every five years on a renewal program. This is a mandatory inspection to ensure the health and safety of the occupants. Inspection fee will be collected once every 5 years for the certification inspection.
Inspection fee will be charged per the following fee schedule effective January 1, 2015, as adopted by the Winona City Council:
C.C. Section 51 (69)
- $74.25/each building
- PLUS $74.25/per rental unit in building, or
- $24.75/per sleeping room in building
Single Family Dwelling
- $74.25/rental unit
- $148.50 Total
- $148.50/two rental unit
- $222.75 Total
- $74.25/1 rental unit
- $148.50 Total