See below for some great Winona bicycling maps:
Bicycling 101 – Understanding the Law
Provisions in Accordance with State Statue 169.222:
- Bicyclists are afforded the same rights and duties of motor vehicle drivers.
- Bicyclists should ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
- Bicyclists are treated as pedestrians when inside a crosswalk (even when riding a bike).
- Bicyclists may ride a maximum of two abreast as long as traffic is not impeded.
- Bicycling on the sidewalk in the central business district is prohibited (see Winona Bikeways Map).
- Bicycling on sidewalks is permitted outside the central business district, but is discouraged for those over the age of 16
- Helmets are recommended – especially for those under the age of 16.
- Walking bicycles within crosswalks is encouraged.
5 Tips for Sharing the Road
- Both drivers and cyclists should know the laws and their responsibilities, and should abide by both.
- In Winona’s central business district it is against the law to ride bikes on sidewalks. When in the business district, bike riders must dismount and walk on sidewalks or ride in the street.
- Reducing distractions and being aware of your surroundings improves safety. Watch to make sure that other cyclists or motorists are noticing your movements.
- All traffic signals and stop signs must be followed. Disregard of signals and stop signs by bicyclists and motorists may lead to crashes.
- Check both directions before pulling into traffic, looking both ways can prevent a crash.
The City of Winona does not have formal restrictions on where cyclists may park bicycles. However, the City does recommend cyclists not park their bikes on trees. The City asks cyclists to use their discretion when selecting a parking location.
Left Turn Signals
For left turns, extend arm straight out – towards the left.
Right Turn Signals
For right turns, extend arm to make a 90 degree angle – towards the right
To stop, extend arm to make a downward 90 degree angle – on the left hand side
Things to do in Winona
Our historic island city offers a variety of activities for the traveler. With a strong arts, historic and cultural scene, Winona offers many opportunities when not biking our many trails.
For more information visit www.visitwinona.com
Local Bike Shops
Adventure Cycle and Ski
178 Center Street
Winona, MN 55987
Kolter Bicycle & Fitness Inc.
400 Mankato Avenus
Winona, MN 55987
The Mississippi River Trail: Winona Segment
The Mississippi River Trail offers around 3,000 miles of on-road pathways beginning from the headwaters of the Mississippi River-Itasca, Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico.
Winona Minnesota is proud to be one of the communities included in this unique trail.
For more information visit www.mississippirivertrail.org