The Friends of the Winona Public Library value, support, and champion the public library. The purpose of this organization is to:
- Maintain an association of persons interested in libraries
- Focus public attention on the Winona Public Library
- Stimulate the use of the library’s resources and services
- Receive and encourage gifts, endowments and bequests to the library
- Support and cooperate with the library in developing library services and facilities for the community
- Support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association Bill of Rights
Meetings are usually held on the third Saturday of each month from 9:00 – 10:00 am in the Bell Art Room of the library. All Friends and potential Friends are welcome to attend.
Find out more about the Friends of the Winona Public Library.
Meeting Minutes September 20, 2014 (minutes are posted after formal meeting approval)
Winona Public Library
Friends of the Library Board
Friends Special Events
Give to the Max Day: November 13th, 2014
(Annual event held the 2nd Thursday in November)
What is Give to the Max Day? It is a day of Giving in Minnesota. You can give an online donation to any nonprofit or school of your choice.
The Friends of the Winona Public Library participated in the event again this year, and every dollar you donated will help your library. Thank you for your generosity.
Please note: giveMN.org is available for online donations to the Friends throughout the year.
Please Save-the-Dates March 19th-21st, 2015 on your calendar.
The next Friends of the Library Book Sale begins in the afternoon/evening of March 19th for Friends Members Only (become a Friends Member at the event if not before) open to everyone 20th-21st.
Friends held a Bake Sale @ Winona Farmers Market
Saturday, August 23, 2014 — Kid’s Day
Thank you to all who donated baked goods, volunteered time, and advertised our sale. Thanks also to our wonderful customers.
All proceeds benefit your Winona Public Library!
Kids Concert in the Park
Winona National Bank held its first of three summer concerts on June 13, drawing a crowd of over 2,500. The concert featured Bob & The Beachcombers as well as the famous $1 lunch and $1 root beer floats, raising $1,813.15 for The Friends of the Winona Public Library. The purpose of Friends of the Library is to support and promote the Winona Public Library, offer volunteer services, and stimulate the use of the library’s resources and services.
Thanks to Winona National Bank for your generous support of the library!
Volunteer & Membership
If you are interested in supporting the library, please consider joining the Friends. We are always looking for new members who would like to get involved and find new ways to advocate and raise funds for your library. If you are interested in joining or would like more information, please complete the membership form or send an email to [email protected].
Now Friends members can take advantage of discounts at local businesses through the Friends Benefit Program. Simply show your Friends of the Library membership card at any of the participating businesses to receive your discount. The list of partners is expected to grow, so check back for updates!
Book Sale Cart
Need a gift idea? Looking for a good deal on a book? Stop by the Friends Book Sale Cart across from the Checkout Desk in the main entrance area of the library. The cart is stocked with hardcover books, paperbacks, compact discs, videos and DVDs.
Hardcover books: $1.00 ea.
Paperback books: $0.50 ea. or 3 for $1.00
Media items: $2.00 ea. or 3 for $5.00
Media sets: $5.00 ea.
Stop by often as items on the cart vary daily. All proceeds benefit your Winona Public Library.
Projects of the Friends of the Library
- Donate time and funds to help with children’s programs.
- Encourage community awareness by representing the library in our community.
- Advocate for strong library support.
- Manage the Deborah Miller Kanabar Trust Fund.
- Encourage Memorial and Honor Book Programs.
- Volunteer for the annual Concert in the Park sponsored by Winona National Bank (all proceeds from the event benefit the library).
- Provide funds to purchase equipment, materials, and for other special projects or programs.