|Library Information Brochure (PDF)Strategic Plan 2013-2015 (PDF)|
- Reference and Information
- Interlibrary Loan
- Online Catalog
- Computers, Internet & WiFi
- Downloadable eBooks & audiobooks
- Downloadable Magazines
- Adult Services Ongoing Programs
- Children’s Storytime
- Children’s Summer Reading Program
- Group Visits
Any Winona County resident or anyone who resides within the SELCO region of southeast Minnesota is eligible to receive a free library card. Wisconsin residents may receive a card for a $40 annual fee. You may also purchase a 6 month nonresident card for $20, or a 3 month nonresident card for $10. The cost for a replacement card is $1.00.
To apply for a library card you will need to provide current proof of residence in Minnesota. A valid Minnesota driver’s license with your local address on it is the best form of proof.
Application forms are available below or at the Checkout Desk of the library.
Be sure to bring your library card with you when you visit us. Your library card enables you to:
- Check out materials from our library and at any library in the SELCO region
- Request items from other libraries
- Use library internet computers
- Search online databases from your home
- Check your account online
Books, audiobooks, software, music CDs, magazines, pamphlets,
kits and story sacks
DVDs and videocassettes
Interlibrary loan materials
Varies by location
Varies by location
All items returned late will be assessed a fine. If you accumulate more than $10.00 in fines, or if any fines are more than 90 days old, loan privileges and internet access will be suspended until the fines are paid. Fines may be paid at the Checkout Desk of the library or online via the My Account link in our catalog.
The book drop is open whenever the library is closed.
You may check out up to 50 items. No more than 20 of the items may be movies. You will be notified when items you have requested arrive and you have 7 days to come pick them up.
Items may be renewed up to two times, provided there are no requests on the items and they are not more than one week overdue. Bestsellers and materials on loan from outside the SELCO region are nonrenewable. You may call to renew items by phone at 507-452-4582, or online via the My Account link in our catalog. Please note that if an item is overdue you will not be able to renew it online.
Materials that the Winona Public Library does not own can often be borrowed from other libraries at no charge. Librarians at the Reference Desk on the second floor of the library can locate and request these items for you. Items can be obtained from libraries within the SELCO region or the State of Minnesota via MNLink.
We offer free public internet access on 14 computers in Adult Services and two in Youth Services. Microsoft Office is available on all internet PCs. Scanning from our photocopier to all Adult Services PCs and 5 flatbed scanners are directly connected to the computers next to the Reference Desk. A valid library card is required to log on. Guest passes are available for visitors. Each cardholder is allowed two hours of use per day.
Wireless internet access is also available throughout the building.
Other Library Policies
Food and drinks are not allowed in the library.
Photocopies & Printouts
Printouts from public internet computers cost $0.10 each for black & white, color printouts are $0.50 each. A photocopy machine is located on the second floor. Costs vary for black and white or color copies, and are as follows:
- 8 ½ x 11 (letter) or 8 ½ x 14 (legal) copies: black & white – $0.10; color – $0.50 each
- 11 x 17 (ledger) copies: black & white – $0.20; color – $1.00 each
Microfilm Reader / Printer
Two microfilm readers are available for public use. One is a digital reader equipped with OCR software. The Winona Daily News, formerly the Winona Republican Herald, is available on microfilm from July 19, 1860 to the present, as are some census records.
A fax machine is available for public use. The cost is $1.75 for the first page and $1.00 for subsequent pages. Payment by debit or credit card only.
Adult Services Donation Policy
We will accept materials:
• In Good Condition
• That are new or gently used
We accept the following items:
• All fiction titles (classics, small press, self-published, etc)
• Hardcover books with Dust Jacket (Book Cover)
• Mass Market Paperbacks (small paperback books roughly 4×6 inches — Harlequin Romance Novels)
• Trade Paperbacks (larger paperbacks roughly 6×8 inches)
• Books on CD
• Music CDs of all genres
We will NOT accept materials if:
• Materials were previously stored in a basement/garage
• Items smell musty or odd
• Items have mold/mildew, handwriting, or highlighting
• Pages are missing
We do NOT accept the following items:
• Nonfiction and Fiction Annals (items published every year – almanacs, facts on file, yearbooks)
• Nonfiction Items published prior to 2001
• Advanced reader copies of books
• Items with Spiral Spines
• VHS – Video Cassette Tapes
• Books on Tape (Cassette)
If the library does not add your item to the collection, the item will be placed on the Friends of the Library Book Sale or discarded.