Short-Term Rentals



All short-term rentals (e.g., Airbnbs, Vrbos, HomeAway units) are required to be inspected and licensed by the City of Winona.


In addition, all short-term rentals are required to pay the City Hotel/Motel tax (4% of monthly rent) beginning July 1, 2018.

Public Hearings

The City also requires a Planning Commission public hearing prior to licensing short-term rentals in residential zoning districts. 

View the Application for a Public Hearing.

Tourist Homes

In Winona City Code, short-term rentals are termed “Tourist Homes.”  Tourist Homes are split into two categories: Owner Occupied and Non-Owner Occupied.

A building or part thereof, other than a hotel or motel, bed and breakfast, residential retreat center, rooming house or rooming unit, where sleeping accommodations are provided to transient guests for up to 29 consecutive days for compensation.

Tourist Home - Owner Occupied

A tourist home located on a lot that is owned by and includes the primary residence of a host or host family.  The host or host family shall reside on the lot during any period of guest stay.

View Owner Occupied Regulations.

Tourist Home- Non-Owner Occupied

A tourist home located on a lot where the property owner does not occupy the premises during the rental period.

View Non-Owner Occupied Regulations.

Contact Us

Please contact Carlos Espinosa, City Planner at 507-457-8216 or email with questions.