Permits, Fees & Handouts
Inspections are required on all permits. Please call 507-457-8231. A four-hour notice is required for building inspections. Please provide the type of inspection, address and permit number when calling.
* Inspections are done to ensure that existing buildings and new construction are aligned with the Uniform Development Code and other regulations.
* Building codes provide minimum standards for safety by regulating and controlling design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of buildings, structures and certain equipment.
All permits must be saved before submitting. Download application first, save to your folder and fill out and submit.
- Affidavit Form (PDF) Owner must fill out and submit with building application if doing the work themselves.
- 2021 Building Fees (PDF) (Plan Review Fees Not Included)
- 2021 Miscellaneous Fees (PDF)
- Building Affidavit Form (PDF)
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Demolition Fees (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Process & Wrecking Form (PDF) (Demolition Permits Please Use a Building Application)
- Moving Permit Application (PDF)
- Roofing/Windows/Siding Application (PDF)
- Solar Permits (PDF)
The City of Winona Inspections Department does not issue or conduct inspections of electrical permits. Please refer to the links below for answers to any questions or concerns you may have regarding electrical permits, or contact the State Electrical Inspector.
Shannon Merchlewitz: 507-730-2349
Office hours are Monday – Friday between 7 – 8:30 am.
Please refer to the links below for additional electrical information:
- Information on how to obtain an electrical permit from the state of Minnesota:
- Minnesota State Statute 326B.36 – When are inspections required?
- Electrical inspection check list and other information regarding electrical inspections and requirements for residential occupancies:
- Minnesota State Statute 326B.35 - Safety Standards
For fire sprinkler permits or information, please contact the:
Winona Fire Department
451 E 3rd Street
Winona, MN 55987
Inspections are required on all permits. Please call 507-457-8231. A four hour notice is required.
Owners doing work themselves must fill out an affidavit form and attach the form with the application.
Permit applications must be downloaded and saved to a file before being submitted.
For questions related to footings, foundations, or slabs, see the Building tab for information.
For question or permits related to curb cuts or sidewalks contact the Engineering Department at 507-457-8269.