Fire Safety & Smoke Detectors

Law

August 1, 1993, the Minnesota Legislature passed a bill requiring smoke detectors in every dwelling in the state. Smoke detectors are life-saving devices, designed to be placed outside the sleeping area of your home.

In addition, the Winona Fire Department recommends a smoke detector be placed on every level of your home to ensure the earliest possible warning in the event of a fire. In order to be effective, smoke detectors must be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions, they must be tested monthly, and batteries changed annually.

Smoke Alarms

  • Consider buying a lithium battery-powered smoke alarm, which may last up to ten years with no battery change.
  • Have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and outside bedrooms.
  • Install smoke alarms away from air vents.
  • Install smoke alarms on ceiling or wall, at least 4 inches from corners. When affixed to walls, smoke alarms should be between 4 and 12 inches from the ceiling. Never disable or remove smoke alarm batteries.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly and change batteries at least once every year.

Escape Planning

  1. Develop a fire escape plan with your household and practice often.
  2. Know two ways to exit from every room in your home.
  3. Make sure safety bars on windows can be opened from inside your home.
  4. Crawl low, under smoke.
  5. Feel closed doors. If hot, use another exit.
  6. Identify a place to meet household members outside. Never re-enter a burning building.
  7. Escape first and then call for emergency assistance.

Fire Safety Walk Through

  • Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces and leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
  • Be sure your stove and small appliances are off before going to bed.
  • Check for frayed wires and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
  • Clean the area around the hearth of debris, flammables and decorative materials.
  • Have chimneys cleaned and inspected annually by a professional.
  • Keep clothes, blankets, curtains and other combustibles at least three feet from space heaters.
  • Keep clothes, towels and other combustibles away from stove burners.
  • Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
  • Never leave cigarettes unattended.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • Never overload electrical sockets.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Place space heaters where they will not tip over easily.
  1. Curt Bittle

    Fire Chief

  2. Crystal Srock

    Administrative Assistant

  3. Fire Department

    Physical Address
    451 E 3rd Street
    Winona, MN 55987

    Phone: 507-457-8266
    Fax: 507-452-0345