- Fire Department
- Winter Fire Prevention
- Christmas Tree State Code
Christmas Tree State Code
Information on Christmas Trees According to the Minnesota State Fire Code
Natural or resin bearing Christmas trees or decorations, with lights, are allowed to be used within the individual dwelling units of Residential occupancies which include; Apartment buildings, Boarding houses, Dormitories, Duplexes, etc. However, they may be placed in the common areas of the buildings. Also, it is the privilege of the property owner or management of such buildings to not allow such trees in their buildings. We have no jurisdiction over such rules.
- Natural or resin bearing Christmas trees or decorations, without electric lights or open flame, are allowed to be used within the following occupancies;
- Educational occupancies
- Assembly occupancies used for worship services (churches)
- Residential occupancies used as hotels, in the common areas.
- Business occupancies
- Mercantile occupancies
- Natural or resin bearing Christmas trees or decorations are not allowed to be used within any Assembly occupancy which includes; Theaters, Auditoriums, Gymnasiums and Meeting rooms, Restaurants, and Bars with an occupant load of 50 or more, etc. Exception: Natural or resin bearing Christmas trees or decorations, without electric lights or open flame, are allowed in places of worship (churches).
- In all other occupancies, natural or resin bearing Christmas or decorations are not allowed to be used.
- Flame retardant artificial Christmas trees and decorations, with electric lights, are permitted in all occupancies.
- No Christmas tree whether real or artificial, in any occupancy, shall be placed in any area that will block or obstruct access to required exits or obstruct or block access to any fire protection equipment.
- Electric lights must be UL approved.
Curt BittleFire Chief
Crystal SrockAdministrative Assistant
Fire DepartmentPhysical Address
451 E 3rd Street
Winona, MN 55987
Phone: 507-457-8266Fax: 507-452-0345