Weather Related Cancellations
- If we have received a significant amount of rain, it is possible some or all fields may not be playable by game time.
- If the fields are deemed to be unplayable due to poor conditions, a notice of cancellation will be placed on the Park and Recreation Cancellation Line 507-457-8220) at 4 pm
- If it should rain after 4 pm, it will be the umpire’s decision as to whether or not the game will be played. If there is any doubt, show up!
- Please refrain from calling the Park and Recreation office, instead call the cancellation line.
- If the games are cancelled due to wet conditions, please stay off the fields.
Severe Weather During Game
- If severe weather occurs, umpires will suspend the game and make note of exactly where the game left off (score, inning, outs, hitter’s count, runners on, etc…).
- Umpires may delay the game for up to 30 minutes if it looks like the weather will be passing through.
- If the game does not resume, it will be made up at a later date, and subsequent games for the evening also will not be played.
Heat Related Guidelines for Youth Sports & Activities
Winona Parks & Recreation has implemented the following guidelines to deal with extreme heat at all youth practices, games and events. This policy is designed to provide participants with a standard for safe play in situations of extreme heat.
Heat Index Up to 89°
- Play impact: No game change recommended.
- Precaution: Observe players for signs of heat reactions. Coaches should substitute more frequently and observe players on the sideline. Players should be encouraged to remove helmets and drink extra water
Heat Index 90°-99°
- Play impact: Reduce play by one minute per quarter or 10 minutes per game.
- Precaution: In this range, staff are encouraged to take extra steps to protect their players by making sure they remain hydrated and by encouraging frequent substitution during games and practices. Players should remove helmets during water breaks. In addition, players should pour water on their heads and/or apply cold, wet towels to their necks in addition to drinking plenty of water.
Heat Index 100° - 104°
- Play impact: Activity time will be reduced by 15 minutes.
- Precautions: Players should remove helmets during water breaks. In addition, players should pour water on their heads and/or apply cold, wet towels to their necks in addition to drinking plenty of water. In addition, players and their parents should be reminded that players need to consume addition water after the game.
Heat Index 105°+
- Play impact: Activities will be canceled until the heat index returns to 105° or below.
- Notification will be delivered through the rainout line (507) 457-8220 and by email.
In the event that a rained out or suspended game must be rescheduled, the Recreation Department will do the rescheduling.
One make-up week is built into the end of the regular season schedule to accommodate rainouts. Make-ups may also be added to existing league nights, as 9 pm games or on a different field when possible. If more than 2 weeks of games are rained out, not all games may be able to be made up
In the rare event that an umpire fails to show up for your game notify Park Rec staff so that the game can be rescheduled.