Investing in our community to create new growth & opportunity in Winona
Cities today each face the same challenge: recruiting new residents, businesses and industries, retirees, tourists, and others while keeping those already there engaged. The City of Winona faces these same challenges. This is why Winona leaders launched an effort known as Opportunity Winona to encourage investment in the downtown area to create new jobs, housing, and commercial activity that are meant to benefit the entire community.
Opportunity Winona is a series of projects connected by a single vision focused on our city’s downtown that will bring new vitality into our downtown and sustain these improvements for years to come, while creating an environment that fully utilizes existing buildings, develops key sites in the downtown area, and creates public connections that will bring people together in our downtown.
Opportunity Winona is focused on helping create new jobs, housing, and commercial activity in the City's Downtown area.
Established in 2015, Opportunity Winona is charged with revitalizing downtown Winona through public and private investments. The City of Winona, Port Authority of Winona, Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Winona Main Street, and other community leaders created Opportunity Winona as a way for us to build on what is already working, look at ideas from other communities, and use all of this to help us create the right environment to build towards our future.
Opportunity Winona is one of the partners in facilitating investments in Downtown Winona to support our city as a dynamic place that supports jobs, housing, development and activity.
Winona’s downtown is its connection to its history and the Mississippi River. Opportunity Winona fosters partnerships and brings together resources as never before from a wide array of community businesses, institutions, and governmental entities with a focus on the heart of the city that will make residents proud, encourage visitors to return, and inspire new businesses and residents to set down roots in Winona.
Completed projects include the Gateway to Levee Park and Phase I improvements to Levee Park. In addition, the City approved and installed new wayfinding signage directing residents and visitors alike to downtown amenities. The City also improved downtown public areas following the completion of the Interstate Bridge. The Main Square and Fastenal office building developments, which were supported by Opportunity Winona, complement these broader downtown improvements. Historic rehabilitation projects such as the Latsch Building, The Exchange, Nate and Ally's, 102 Walnut, and Walnut Corner are a few of the projects that have been completed since Opportunity Winona began.
The goal of Opportunity Winona is to foster and support complex and important projects that “get it right the first time” while still acknowledging the need to complete transformative projects quickly.
Opportunity Winona is a collaborative project between a diverse group of public and private entities with the vision of a revitalized downtown Winona. The Port Authority of Winona manages the project, and the leadership team includes the City of Winona, the Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Winona Main Street, and others from the business, education, and healthcare sectors.
- Winona to welcome new cruise liner, American Serenade Winona Post, August 24, 2023
- Winona to welcome new riverboat at Levee Park September 27, 2022
- Masterpiece Hall Plans Released, Permit Hearing WednesdayWinona Post, May 5, 2023
- $1M in Grants will help Renovate Downtown BuildingsWinona Post, February 10, 2023
- Masterpiece Hall Construction Under Way, Bringing New Opportunity into Downtown Winona Winona Daily News, October 23, 2022 Updated November 27, 2022
- $1M Available in Grants for Downtown Winona BusinessesWinona Post, August 26, 2022
- Winona Chamber of Commerce Foundation Announces Winona Main Street Economic Revitalization Grant ProgramLaCrosse Tribune, August 12, 2022
- Over 30 riverboat dockings at Levee Park Winona Post June 29, 2022
- Exchange Building: Plans for Apts., Vacation Rentals Winona Post, November 3, 2021
- Fastenal Opens New HQ Office in Downtown Winona Industrial Distribution, December 6, 2021
- Fastenal opens new office downtown Winona Post, December 15, 2021
- Hardee’s block project gets rolling Winona Post Aug 1, 2018 Updated Sep 27, 2021
- American Cruise Lines Makes its First Docking in Winona (Winona Radio, 7/27/2021
- Opportunity Winona Announces Main Square Phase II (Press release March 9, 2020)