Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
To establish guidelines for the consistent decision-making process related to the acceptance, placement and long-term maintenance of public requests for memorial donations in city-owned facilities, parks, natural areas and trail system.
Memorials gifts have been a welcome and thoughtful addition to the City of Winona’s parks for many years. Historically, the department has accepted these donations without a formal written policy however guidelines are needed for sustainable management of site-appropriate amenities so as not to detract from the visual aesthetics of the surrounding natural environment or place an undue burden on the city.
The protection of the natural environment is a high priority. To this end, the City of Winona Parks and Recreation Department may limit memorials in order to promote resource management and sustainability of natural landscapes. The integrity, natural and architectural features of parks, natural areas, and facilities will be preserved and not detract from a user’s experience. Design specifications will be compatible with existing management and operations plans.
Proposals will be evaluated by Parks and Recreation staff according to the following:
• The placement of enhancements in the park system must be compatible with the existing comprehensive park system plan, individual park plans, and/or capital improvement program (CIP) requirements of the City of Winona.
• The final decision as to location and donation type will be determined by the Parks and Recreation Department and Park Superintendent.
• Memorials shall not detract from or overpower the scenic or architectural values of the existing environment.
• All memorials will be constructed of materials that meet the design and maintenance requirements of the Parks and Recreation Department. Park furniture donations are to be exclusively purchased from the Anova Furnishings Rendezvous Collection in the color black.
• Memorial donations, which are large in scale, may be considered on a case-by-case basis, as they relate to park planning processes and the CIP process.
• Non-designated monetary memorial donations will be used to meet current needs of the department as recommended by the department director.
• Memorial plaques or other naming designations are not allowed on or near Memorial Trees.
• The City is not responsible to replace damaged, stolen, or vandalized memorials.
1. The donor reads this policy and then submits a completed Memorial Donation Agreement Form. Agreements are available in either hard copy form or online.
2. Parks and Recreation Department will review and determine the appropriateness of the proposal as measured by approval criteria. Department staff will notify the donor of the review decision and identify any final conditions of approval.
3. Payment in full will be made to the “City of Winona Parks and Recreation” for park furniture donations or to directly to “Winona Nursery” for tree donations. Memorial Plaques (only for park furniture) may be ordered separately from First Place Trophies & Gifts (507) 454-1299 and will be installed onto the concrete pad at no additional fee.
4. Park Maintenance will deliver and install donation trees and/or park furniture. The City does not coordinate donation installation with personal requests. Plaques are not able to be installed with memorial trees.
5. Once installed, a thank you letter will be issued to the donor that states the donation value and general purpose.
Once the exact location has been approved by department staff, the purchaser will be instructed to pick out and pay for the tree(s) at Winona Nursery, Address: 1258 Sugar Loaf Rd, Winona, MN 55987, Phone: (507) 452-6237 and notify Parks and Recreation when the purchase is complete. Parks and Recreation Staff will pick up and install the tree in the agreed upon location. There are no additional fees for tree installation.
The City does not coordinate the installation with personal ceremonies. Memorial plaques or other naming designations are not allowed on or near Memorial Trees. The City is not responsible to replace damaged, stolen, or vandalized memorials.
• Trees cost approximately $300-$400 depending on the species.
• Approved trees are: Elm, Flowering Crab, Ginkgo, Japanese Lilac, Kentucky Coffee, Locust, and Service Berry.
• Not approved trees are: All types of Maples. Trees cost approximately $300-$400 depending on the species.
Notice: the City is no longer adding new benches to the East or West Lake Park but may replace existing non-memorial benches.
Once the application is approved including donation location, furniture type, and cost, payment in full must be made to, “City of Winona Parks and Recreation.” The City will place the park furniture order once payment in full is received.
All park furniture will be from the Rendezvous product line at Anova Furnishings in the color of black. Benches typically cost approximately $1,300.00; the buyer pays the exact cost of the bench as charged to the City. A concrete pad is required for park furniture. If the donation is replacing a piece that already has a concrete pad then there will be no additional fee. If the donation requires a new pad to be installed, a fee of $200 will be added to the invoice. Other types of park furniture costs will vary. This is given as an example only.
Memorial plaques may be purchased separately and will be installed at no additional fee to the front center of the concrete pad on park furniture only (not on trees). Plaques must follow a specific standard that includes size, color, material, font, mounting hole pattern, and character count so we highly encourage donors to work with First Place Trophies of Winona (507) 454-1299.
The City does not guarantee permanency of the memorial. If a memorial must be relocated, staff will attempt to notify the donor, in writing, at the address shown on the completed Memorial Donation Agreement Form. The Director’s approval must be received before the ordering and installation of the memorial may proceed. The City shall be responsible for the installation and protection of the work, within reason. Once installed, the memorial becomes City property.
This policy may be reviewed annually by Department staff and updated as indicated.
Memorial markings, decorations, or adornments of any kind are no longer allowed on trees.
Memorial plaques may be included with this type of donation.
List a specific location within the park if you have one, no guarantees
Memorial gifts to The City of Winona are considered outright and unrestricted donations. The City of Winona does not guarantee permanency of the accepted donation. If a memorial must be relocated, department staff will attempt to notify the donor in writing at the address shown on this form. Donations may be tax deductible (please consult an accountant). The donor declares to have read the Memorial Donation Acceptance and Management Guidelines. The donor understands and agrees with the conditions set forth in this policy and agrees to pay the City any donation funds within one month of notification of Memorial Agreement approval.
I have read and understand the donation policy.
For more information, please contact the City of Winona Parks and Recreation Department.
City of Winona Parks and Recreation
Suite 105, 207 Lafayette Street
Winona, MN 55987
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field