Short-Term Rentals

All short-term rentals (e.g. Airbnbs, VRBOs, HomeAway units) are required to be inspected and licensed by the City of Winona.  In addition, all short-term rentals are required to pay the City Hotel/Motel tax (4% of monthly rent) beginning July 1, 2018.

The City also requires a Planning Commission public hearing prior to licensing short-term rentals in residential zoning districts.  An application for a public hearing is available here.

In Winona City Code, short-term rentals are termed “Tourist Homes.”  Tourist Homes are split into two categories: Owner Occupied and Non-Owner Occupied.  Definitions and specific regulations for each are provided below.

Please contact Carlos Espinosa, City Planner at [email protected] or 507-457-8216 with questions.

Tourist Home: A building or part thereof, other than a hotel or motel, bed and breakfast, residential retreat center, roominghouse or rooming unit, where sleeping accommodations are provided to transient guests for up to 29 consecutive days for compensation.

Tourist Home – Owner Occupied: A tourist home located on a lot that is owned by and includes the primary residence of a host or host family.  The host or host family shall reside on the lot during any period of guest stay.

Owner Occupied Regulations

Tourist Home- Non-Owner Occupied:  A tourist home located on a lot where the property owner does not occupy the premises during the rental period.

Non-Owner Occupied Regulations