Frequently Asked Topics

Alternate Side Parking
Bicycle Registration
Bike Barn
Crash Report (Request for)
Downtown Parking Map
Evidence/Lost Property Return
Gun Permits – Permit to Carry
Gun Permits – Permit to Purchase
Parking Ticket
Paying a Ticket
Police Report (Request for)
Recovered Bicycles
Report Lost Property
Report Stolen Bicycle
Towed Vehicles

Towed Vehicles

Vehicles towed by the Winona Police Department are towed by Borkowski’s Towing.  To obtain a release slip for your vehicle, the registered owner must report to the LEC and provide proof of insurance and a valid ID.  A release slip from the Police Department is required to get your vehicle or items from your vehicle at Borkowski’s.  Common reasons include:

  • Blocking a driveway or alley
  • Tag and Tow operation
  • 20-hour
  • Criminal arrest

Towing and storage fees are paid to Borkowski’s unless otherwise indicated.

Borkowski’s Towing
5035 W 6th St, Winona, MN 55987

Paying a Ticket




Administrative citations paid by check can be mailed to 201 W 3rd St, Winona, MN 55987 and should be made payable to the “City of Winona.”  Do not send cash in the mail.  Administrative citations can also be paid over the phone, left in the drop box outside the Law Enforcement Center or at the front desk of the Law Enforcement Center (2nd Floor) during normal business hours, Monday-Friday. Failure to pay the fine may result in a criminal charge.

If you have any questions about paying your ticket, please call during  normal business hours or email [email protected] or [email protected].

If you received a State Citation, follow the instructions on the right half of the citation or contact the courthouse for assistance.

(State Citation)


Parking Ticket

Parking (Administrative) citations may be paid at the Police Department front desk during normal business hours, Monday-Friday. Payment for an administrative citation(s) may also be mailed or placed in the drop box near the front doors of the Law Enforcement Center; include the citation along with your payment in an envelope. We accept cash, check or credit card when paying at the Police Department.   Payments for an administrative citation can also be made over the phone during normal business hours, Monday-Friday.

When paying in person at the Police Department make sure you have either your ticket number or license plate number.  Failure to pay the fine may result in a criminal charge.

Per Winona City ordinance, “any vehicle which is moved and reparked in the same block, alley or lot during (stated time period) shall be deemed to have remained stationary.”

If a vehicle has five or more unpaid parking tickets, the vehicle is subject to impound.

Towed Vehicle Information

Questions? Call 507-457-6302

Gun Permits – Permit to Purchase

Permit to Purchase Application

Requirements for a Permit to Purchase a handgun:

  • Must be 18 years of age
  • Be a resident of the City of Winona
  • Provide a Valid Minnesota driver’s license or other picture ID
  • Successfully pass a criminal history check.  The permit will be issued if all the conditions, as outlined above and prescribed by the State of Minnesota, are met.

It is important to note the following:

  • You must be a resident of the City of Winona
  • Your driver’s license must reflect your current address

Complete all the sections of the application except “Dealer Information.” Completed applications can be mailed or dropped off at the police department, or email to [email protected] and [email protected] for review. After your permit is approved, someone will call you to arrange a time for you to pick up your permit. You must bring your MN Driver’s License with you at that time. If your permit is denied, you will receive a letter in the mail. For questions, email [email protected] and [email protected] , or call 507-457-6302.

Report Stolen Bicycle

Call the Winona County Law Enforcement Center at 507-457-6492 or the Community Service Officer at 507-457-6293. If you report a bicycle as stolen, please include make, model, serial number, color and value.

Report Lost Property

Online Form

In an effort to assist individuals who have lost property within the City of Winona, the Winona Police Department has enabled citizens to report lost property using the following guidelines:

  • Lost Firearms cannot be reported with this form. In the event of a lost firearm, call 507-457-6492 to make the report.
  • As an official document, any falsifications on the form may result in Criminal Charges for “Filing a False Police Report”.
  • Lost Property is not a criminal action, and therefore will not generate any police follow-up. If lost property is due to a crime being committed, you will need to call 507-457-6492 to make your report.
  • Property lost outside Winona City Limits or last seen outside Winona City Limits may not be reported at the Winona police Department. It must be reported to the agency with jurisdiction for that location.
  • Do NOT report stolen items or theft complaints on this form. To report stolen items or theft complaints call our dispatch center at 507-457-6492.

To file your report: Once the form is received by the Winona Police Department, it will be assigned a call for service number.

  1. Complete the Lost Property Form. Be as thorough as possible including description of the lost item and a brief explanation of where and how the property was lost.
  2. Submit the form when it is complete.
  3. A copy of your form will be emailed to you; this will be your official police report.
Fill out the form online.

Bicycle Registration

Online Form

Bicycle registration is FREE for City of Winona residents only.  You must have a City of Winona address AND live within city limits to register your bicycle, no exceptions.

The Winona Police Department encourages owners to register their bicycles. If a theft occurs, having your bike registered will increase the chances of it being returned if it is recovered.

You can register at the Winona Police Department, 201 West 3rd Street during regular business hours, or online using this form. To register your bicycle you will need the make, model and serial number.

Recovered Bicycles/Bike Barn

Bikes that are recovered are brought to the Bike Barn. Bike Barn viewings are on Wednesdays at 5:30pm and Saturdays at 11:00am. If you would like to view the bikes, please contact the Winona County Law Enforcement Center at 507-457-6492. Your bike must first be reported stolen before viewing the bike barn.

Evidence/Found Property

If you lost property and it was turned into the Winona Police Department you should contact Evidence Technician Adam Brommerich at 457-6302. Once a case has been disposed and evidence can be returned to the owner, the owner should contact ET Brommerich. An appointment will need to be made with ET Brommerich prior to evidence/property can be returned. ET Brommerich works primarily Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Arrangement’s can be made through ET Brommerich for property to be returned to the owner outside of these work hours.

Obtain a Crash Report

Call the Police Department during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, for information obtaining a crash or police report. 507-457-6302

Obtain a Police Report

If you need a copy of a police report, please contact the Winona County Sheriff’s Department and make the request through their records department: 507-457-6368.